Biogas treatment with recovery of nutrients from centrate in an outdoors high rate algal pond through algae-bacteria systems

on . . Hits: 1562

D_Marin   The upgrading of biogas coupled with centrate treatment was evaluated in an outdoors photobioreactor interconnected to an absorption column of CO2 and H2S from September to December 2016.

   The maximum recorded CH4 concentration in the biomethane was 94%, with total removal of H2S and removal efficiencies of CO2 ranging from 70% to 90% depending on the environmental conditions.

 

D. Marín, E. Posadas, R. Lebrero, R. Muñoz

Departamento de Ingeniería Química y Tecnología del Medio Ambiente. Universidad de Valladolid. C/ Real de Burgos, s/n, Sede Doctor Mergelina. CP 47011 - Valladolid

   Competing interests: The author has declared that no competing interests exist.

   Academic editor: Carlos N Díaz.

   Content quality: This paper has been peer reviewed by at least two reviewers. See scientific committee here

   Citation: D. Marín, E. Posadas, R. Lebrero, R. Muñoz, 2017, Biogas treatment with recovery of nutrients from centrate in an outdoors high rate algal pond through algae- bacteria systems, IV International Conference of Odours and VOCs in the Environment, Valladolid, Spain, www.olores.org.

   Copyright: 2017 olores.org. Open Content Creative Commons license. It is allowed to download, reuse, reprint, modify, distribute, and/or copy articles in olores.org website, as long as the original authors and source are cited. No permission is required from the authors or the publishers.

   ISBN: 978-84-697-7359-8

   Keyword: Biogas upgrading, biomethane, microalgae, outdoors conditions, wastewater treatment.

 

Abstract

   The upgrading of biogas coupled with centrate treatment was evaluated in an outdoors photobioreactor interconnected to an absorption column of CO2 and H2S from September to December 2016. The maximum recorded CH4 concentration in the biomethane was 94%, with total removal of H2S and removal efficiencies of CO2 ranging from 70% to 90% depending on the environmental conditions.

   The treatment of centrate reached removals of total organic carbon from 57 ± 4% to 82 ± 5%, inorganic carbon removals of 100 ± 1%, total nitrogen removals from 80 ± 6% to 89 ± 7% (with total removal of N-NH4+) and removals of P-PO43- from 72 ± 4% and 94 ± 2%. Finally, the deterioration of the environmental conditions led into a decrease of algal biomass productivity from 15 to 7.5 g / (m2·d).

 

   See the full article in other languages.

  • French
  • Spanish
  • German
  • Polish
  • Arabic

Please note that this site uses cookies in order to work properly.

See more about our cookie policy Learn more

I understand

Please read the following to learn more about our cookies policy:

 

What are cookies?

   A cookie is a text file stored in a user’s web browser on any device they use to access a website that holds information regarding the user’s visit, such as preferences. When the user returns, the browser provides the cookie with the stored information to the site.

What cookies are used for?

   Cookies are used for adjusting a website’s content to fit a user’s preferences and optimize the website. They store useful information that improve the user’s experience of a website. They are most commonly used for:

  •     Recognizing the type of device a user is browsing with and any preferences applied to optimize the website specifically for the device.
  •     Creating statistics that help website owners to understand how their users interact with their website, which allows them to improve their structure and content.

What types of cookies are used?

   There are two types of cookies: persistent cookies and session cookies. Persistent cookies remain on your hard drive for a period of time specified in the cookie’s file parameters or until removed manually. When you return to a website and it requires you to login again despite previously storing your login information, it is usually because the persistent cookie expired; this helps to increase security while maintaining accessibility.

   Session cookies, on the other hand, are used temporarily and expire once the website or browser is closed. They are used to track user activity on a website during a single visit. When a website requires that you verify your age or location once every visit before allowing you to view content and without requiring additional personal details, that is a session cookie at work.

Do cookies include personal data?

   If there is a need for the collection of personal information, such as for creating accounts, then cookies may store personal information. However, it is required by data protection law that users are informed of the collection of personal data. This data will also be encrypted to render it inaccessible for unauthorized users.

Managing cookies

   By default, browsers are configured to accept cookies. However, these settings may be changed to block cookies entirely, or to inform the user each time they are used. Detailed information about cookies and the options associated with them are available in each browsers’ settings.

Which cookies does collect olores.org?

   Olores.org collect cookies for 2 purposes:

  • Register statistical data.
  • Set language preferences.

   In addition we use third party cookies through Statcounter to collect different data.

StatCounter Analytics Cookies

   StatCounter is a web analytics service. We use StatCounter to track activity on our website. These stats help us to understand how people are interacting with our website and to improve the design and functionality of our site so that we can offer a better online experience to our visitors. If you visit olores.org, a StatCounter analytics cookie (called "is_unique") may  be placed in your browser.  This cookie is used only to determine whether you are a first-time or returning visitor and to estimate unique visits to the site. No personal information is stored in the cookie.

Refuse Statcounter cookies.

You may set your browser to refuse/accept StatCounter analytics cookies by clicking here.

NOTES:

    • Your decision to refuse/accept StatCounter analytics cookies applies to all websites which use the StatCounter service (including the StatCounter site itself).
    • If you refuse all StatCounter analytics cookie, a refusal cookie (called "refusal_cookie") will be set to remember this preference and any existing StatCounter analytics cookies in your browser will be destroyed.
    • If you delete/remove/destroy the refusal cookie, you must revisit this page in order to re-set your preference.
    • The refusal cookie is set only for your current browser and machine. If you use multiple browsers/machines, you must set a refusal cookie in each case.
    • You can also change your cookie settings directly in your browser. Learn more about cookies and how to manage them here: http://www.allaboutcookies.org/cookies/index.html
    • Or you can learn about how to adjust cookie settings for specific browsers here: