The Odournet Quality Assessment team have developed an approach that allows including a complex odour in the 2014 International Comparison of Olfactometry (ILC) test. This enables participating laboratories to not only verify their performance characteristics on the n-butanol reference, but also on an actual unknown complex 'real world' odorant mixture.
This additional element will allow participating laboratories to obtain a good estimate of their precision under reproducibility conditions, based on experimental data from a blind proficiency test.
Participation in the ILC satisfies the recommendation of the EN 13725:2003 regarding performance quality requirements: subclause 5.1 General “...Note: Performance testing is best done in a proficiency test coordinated by an external organisation.
Odournet GmbH has been accredited since December 2011 according to the new standard for proficiency testing bodies, EN ISO/IEC 17043:2010.
The ILC allows participating laboratories to ascertain the key performance criteria as defined in EN13725:2003, specifically:
- precision under repeatability conditions r, and
- accuracy A for 1-butanol.
For further information, visit the ILC 2014 website.
If you find this article interesting, you might also be interested in these articles.
- Odours in the Environment, a different kind of conference organised by the Association of German Engineers VDI.
- Leading providers of olfactometers and odour testing and consultancy Ecoma, Odournet and OLFAtec join forces
- Interlaboratory Comparison Olfactometry - 2009
- NEW INTERLAB TEST ON DYNAMIC OLFACTOMETRY
- OLFAtec - tool for continuous improvement