The Final Technical Working Group (TWG) meeting for the review of the Intensive Rearing of Poultry and Pigs (IRPP) Best Available Techniques (BAT) REFerence documents (BREF) took place in Seville from the 17th to the 21st of November 2014. This new BREF will include the new BAT Associated Emission Levels (BATAELs).
After a few drafts and plenty of discussion it looks like this very important document will come up with a new text approved.
There are over 30 BREF documents published but the important thing about this new and revised text is that it will come with the new BATAELs which are compulsory Emission limits for any installation pursuing an Environmental Integrated authorization. The key here is that in the previous BREF these limits were set as references but they were not obligatory for any facility.
Once the IRPP BREF is ready and approved, any farm in Europe will have a compulsory BATAEL... also for odour emissions.
Check the available documents here: http://eippcb.jrc.ec.europa.eu/
If you find this article interesting, you might also be interested in these articles.
- Second draft of the BREF on Intensive Rearing of Poultry and Pigs (IRPP)
- Managing the impact of odour emissions from livestock activities
- WEF Odors and Air Pollutants 2012 Louisville. Odors conference? Is it not H2S conference?
- Estimating Odour Nuisance From a Conventional Swine Farm
- Regulations with regard to odour nuisance caused by animal accommodation used in livestock farming (Odour Nuisance and Livestock Farming Act)