The Environment Agency regulates odours under the Environmental Permitting Regulations by means of H4 Odour Guidance which focused on activities under the Pollution and Prevention Control (PPC) Regulations. This document is well known and it is widely used not only in the UK, but also in many other countries as reference guidance.
This document was recently revised and in June 2009 was available on the net, for comments and suggestions into an open consultation procedure. After the closing date on the 13th of October 2009, this document is about to be published.
The new odour guidance will contain information on:
- Odour as an issue, its perception, impact and acceptability
- Regulatory approach, including enforcement of permit conditions
- The proposed changes to odour conditions in the UK.
- The importance of odour management plans and their scope
- Risk assessments and monitoring of odour
- Measures for the control of odour
- Forms for recording levels of odour
More information by clicking here.