The second draft of the BREF (Best Available Techniques (BAT) Reference Document ) on Intensive Rearing of Poultry and Pigs (IRPP) has been issued on 01/08/2013 and the word "odour" appears 487 times. This is a measure of the importance of the odour management in this BREF. For example, in the recently reviewed and final Draft of the BREF Document for the Production of Pulp, Paper and Board, the word odours appears 148 times.
This is a good opportunity to revise the Draft and send some comments concerning the odour management field, for those of you who are involved in odour regulations. Surprisingly, there is no "odour unit" reference in the final draft of the BREF on the Production of Pulp, Paper and Board (1), therefore there is just a tangential treatment of one of the major problems of these activities.
However, you are still on time to add your comments and insights about the BREF on Intensive Rearing of Poultry and Pigs (IRPP).
Read it and send your suggestions!
Please note that the Deadline to receive comments on this Draft is the 21st of October 2013.
Source: the European IPPC Bureau (EIPPCB)
(1) The fifth meeting of the IED Article 13 forum took place in Brussels on 20 september 2013 with the main objective to provide an opinion on the proposed content of the draft BREF on Pulp, Paper and Board and on the draft BREF for the Refining of Mineral Oil and Gas.
If you find this article interesting, you might be also interested in these articles.
- Netherlands Regulation containing the determination of odour emission factors, minimum distances for fur-bearing animals, the method of calculating odour intensity and of the method of determining distances.
- Netherlands Regulations with regard to odour nuisance caused by animal accommodation used in livestock farming (Odour Nuisance and Livestock Farming Act).
- Managing the impact of odour emissions from livestock activities.
- Estimating Odour Nuisance From a Conventional Swine Farm
- Odours in the Environment, a different kind of conference organised by the Association of German Engineers VDI.